Fort McMurray, AB (Sept. 7, 2016) – Welcome HOME Fort McMurray! To recognize the first responders who battled May’s wildfires, and helped evacuate and re-enter our region, we’re providing free admission to our home opening weekend games on Friday, September 16 and Saturday, September 17 against the Grande Prairie Storm!
“Safely evacuating and re-entering an entire city of 88, 000 people in response to a major crisis is no small task,” said Oil Barons and Northern Alberta Athletic Association (NAAA) President David Fitzgerald.
“This is our way of welcoming everyone home and saying thank you to the many people involved. From fighting the wildfires in May, to organizing the phased re-entry in June, to supporting the ongoing rebuild, we thank you for your support, ” said Fitzgerald.
We’ve planned a number of activities for this year’s home opening weekend, including:
- opening ceremonies featuring videos, lights, introductions, and ceremonial puck drops before each game (sponsored by Summit GM Fort McMurray),
- a pre-game tail gate party including a BBQ, face painting, bouncy castles and live entertainment in the Casman Centre’s parking lot before each game starting at 6 p.m. (hosted by Country 93.3 and Sobeys Fort McMurray),
- a commemorative ‘Fort Mac Strong’ gift for the first 500 fans to arrive at the Casman Centre for each game (sponsored by Summit GM Fort McMurray),
- a t-shirt giveaway for both games,
- a reserved section in the Casman Centre for all first responders and their families to enjoy both games together, and
- free admission for everyone to both games.
“We want to make this a weekend to remember for all McMurrayites and give them an opportunity to personally thank all of the brave men and women that protected our community,” said Fitzgerald.
“To kick start the upcoming season, we invite everyone to pack the Casman Centre to thank our first responders and welcome the 2016/17 Oil Barons. We’re honoured to represent our hard working community as part of the Alberta Junior Hockey League. We will continue to support each other as we rebuild our proud community.”
The Casman Centre’s doors will officially open at 7 p.m. on September 16 and September 17. Tickets for both games are available starting on Friday, September 9 at 10 a.m. Tickets can be purchased online at tickets.fortmcmurrayoilbarons.ca, by visting the Casman Centre’s box office, or calling 780-743-5509. Tickets will be issued free of charge while quanities last.
A reminder to all season ticket holders! Reserved season tickets for the upcoming season are now available for pick up at the Casman Centre, Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information, please contact the Casman Centre at 780-743-5509.
For more information, please contact:
Jordan Fitzgerald, Director of Communications
Phone: (403) 969-0104