The Fort McMurray Oil Barons are seeking a full time Play by Play Broadcaster for the 2023-2024 Season.
The ideal candidate will join a dynamic and fast-paced hockey environment in one of the top Junior “A” leagues in Canada. The primary responsibility will be to provide broadcast play by play of all exhibition, regular season and playoff games while working within a team-oriented media group.
There is a high level of expectation that the successful applicant will be self-motivated and fully prepared to commit the time and effort required in providing fans and listeners with highest level of detail and insight while maintaining optimal professionalism.
The ideal candidate will be a creative, outgoing, self-starter who is comfortable in both the radio broadcast and on-camera environments and possess the qualifications to execute the job responsibilities outlined below.
Requirements and skills:
- A minimum of one year of hockey play by play experience at the Junior, College, or
- Must have strong communication skills and work well as a team member.
- Must be eager to grow with the organization and help market our brand.
- Demonstrate ability to write articles and game summaries as well as create content for
social media accounts.
- Experience with computer based multi-track audio production, recording, and editing.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a creative media team.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite programs.
Additional preferred skills:
- Video production experience (writing, filming, editing)
- Experience with graphic design for web and or print.
Job Duties will include:
Provide Play by Play coverage for all Oil Baron games, home and away, and be responsible for
all aspects of the broadcast including:
- Pre-game, intermission and post-game content.
- Interviews with players, coaches for broadcast and social media.
- Technical set up, production and advertising spot insertion.
- Ensure fulfillment of broadcast related sponsor elements.
- Develop and pitch stories to local media.
- Respond to and facilitate with interview, appearance and media requests.
- Maintain relationships with local media.
- Create pregame notes and media packets.
- Work with team historian to track statistics and notable milestones.
As a member of the Oil Barons media team, you will provide assistance and support with:
- Media training and social media training to our players.
- Keep players and coaches informed about game presentation elements that involve the team.
- Help coordinate press conferences.
- Create content for our website and social media.
Compensation will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications.
All applicants are encouraged to email their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 15th, 2023.
The Oil Barons organization would like to thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are chosen to advance to the interview process will be contacted.