The Fort McMurray Oil Barons are seeking a full time Assistant Coach for the 2023-2024 Season. The ideal candidate will join a dynamic and fast-paced coaching environment in one of the top Junior “A” leagues in Canada. The self-motivated individual will have the opportunity to further develop their coaching skills and knowledge while working within a team-oriented program that possesses a strong history of winning and excellence.
There is a high level of expectation that the successful applicant is fully prepared to commit the time and effort required in providing our players with highest level of detail and coaching strategies in support of their development.
The ideal candidate will possess the qualifications required and be prepared to execute their job responsibilities outlined below.
Assistant Coach Duties/Responsibilities:
- Reports to Head Coach/GM.
- To represent the Oil Barons organization in a professional manner.
- To bring a positive/energetic attitude and mindset to the rink every day.
- To work well in a team setting, develop a strong working relationship with other
members of the organization, and will put in the necessary time committed daily.
- Attend & assist with the planning, organization, and execution of the Oil Barons Spring,
Summer, and Main Camps.
- Assist the Head Coach/GM with the organization, administration, and implementation
of the hockey operations program.
- Assist the Head Coach/GM with team and player development. I.e. Off-Ice training, on
ice practices, player meetings, team building events, and yearly plan.
- Assist the Head Coach/GM/Scouting staff with Recruiting, Scouting, Player Evaluations,
and Team Selection process.
- Assist Head Coach/GM with all approved team transactions – LOI list, CHA Carding,
Affiliation, Trades, and Releases.
- Assist the Head Coach with team and individual video sessions using STEVA/InStat video
- Assist Head Coach/GM with creating Individual Player Development Plans.
- Assist the Head Coach with feedback & input on team systems/structure.
- Assist the Head Coach with game day line-up decisions and affiliate call ups.
- Assist the Head Coach at home and on road trips with designated curfew times and
communicating with Billet Coordinator.
- Assist Goalie/Skills Coach on ice if required to do so throughout the season.
- Assist the Strength & Conditioning coach with daily, weekly, and yearly plan for off-ice
- Assist the Strength & Conditioning coach in developing individual summer workout
packages to LOI’s/Returning players if required.
- Practice tasks include: To plan and help run team, position specific, and/or skill drills on
any given day. Responsible for setting up pucks, being a coach passer in drills, and being
a strong communicator/ability to teach players throughout duration of practice. May be
asked to run team practice throughout the year.
- Game Day tasks include: Preparing & Presenting video pre-scout package of the
opposition to the team, planning/running pre-game skates, preparing/sending AJHL line-
up sheet to appropriate parties, assist in pre-game meetings (5 on 5, PP/PK),
coordinate/assist with Oil Baron for the day, and will send in all necessary scoring
changes to AJHL post-game.
- Responsible for creating individual player profiles/bios and assisting with
communication to schools.
- Responsible for organizing and updating Team/Player Statistics on a game-to-game basis
throughout regular season/playoffs.
Compensation will be negotiated based on experience and qualifications.
All applicants are encouraged to send their resumes to Head Coach and General Manager Adam Manah at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May.15th, 2023.
The Oil Barons organization would like to thank all applicants for their interest in joining our program, however, only those who are chosen to advance to the interview process will be contacted.